Tuesday, July 10, 2007

YouTubesday: The Short Edition

I apologize for my continuing slackitude here on the Opiate. Work has been moderately busy and my SCUBA class continues to eat up my free time in the evenings either with recovering from having to get up at 6 in the morning on both Saturday and Sunday or doing the additional book-work for my Advanced Open Water certification like tonight. I wanted to do a double-header YouTubesday and Funkywoodjamz post discussing DCI since the annual DCI performance in Houston is coming up next Thursday, but I need to get some reading done before bed so I am going to leave you with this one performance from 1988. Here are the Madison Scouts with their entire show from 1988 which concludes with a performance of Ernesto Lecuona's "Malaguena."



I chose this performance because the Scouts were at the first live DCI show I went to back in the summer of 1988 and while I prefer more classical pieces, their performance of "Malaguena" made an indelible impression on a young James. While this performance is from Drum Corps Holland, the Madison Scouts would go on to win the DCI championship in 1988, only their second since the founding of DCI in 1972.

Speaking of the 1980's and shorts:



Hopefully things will return to normal next week.

No comments: