Sunday, September 10, 2006

Gil Shaham

Last night a friend and I went to see the opening night performance for the Houston Symphony. The program for the night consisted of:
While I really enjoyed the Bugs Bunny music the best part of the performance, besides the lady who kept snoozing off on the other side of my date, was Gil Shaham’s performance of the solo violin in Sarasate’s Concert Fantasies on Carmen. His performance was incredible and sent chills down my spine. While searching for a recording of him performing the piece I found the following video of him performing the piece on YouTube:



While I feel his performance in Houston was superior to this one, this should give you some idea of what it was like.

On a side note I just noticed that the Houston Symphony Magazine which they give out at the performances has, in the performance notes section, suggested recordings for each piece they perform. For your ordering enjoyment I have included links below to the recommended CDs from the MusicaBona however if you live in the Houston area I would encourage you to go to Joel's Classical Shop rather than buying online.


Tags: Music

No comments: