Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Spitfire

I love old warbirds and the Supermarine Spitfire has always ranked up there as one of my favorites. The plane is just beautiful and a marvel to watch in the air. I do not know why I gravitated towards this fighter rather than the P-51 or P-40, but there is something about the Spitfire that just looks fast, graceful and deadly.



The first time I saw one up close and personal was during a summer trip to my uncle’s house in Mission, the very same one where I had the yucca incident. In addition to hitting Mexico, we also went to South Padre Island. Between Mission and South Padre lies the bustling metropolis of Harlingen which at the time was the headquarters for the CAF (then known as the Confederate Air Force). I convinced my mom that we needed to stop and check out the planes, and there she was, a Spitfire just sitting out on the tarmac, waiting for me. I don’t know how long I spent looking at that one plane, but it made quite the impression on me.

Fast forward to April of 2005. I dragged Nikki to the Lone Star Flight Museum’s annual Spirit of Flight airshow and this time there were not one, but two Spitfires for me to admire. Sadly one of them was kept in the hanger for the day, however the other…wow, I love watching those things in the air. Sadly none of the pictures I took of the ‘birds in flight turned out, however this is my favorite out of the ones I took while they were on the flight line.

I have packed up my files of negatives so I cannot tell you what sort of film this was shot on (I suspect Fuji of one sort or another) however you can view the rest of my pictures from the airshow here and here.

1 comment:

Joseph Merrill said...

Totally unrelated, but I saw a midget today and thought of you. Sad, very sad.zxlvjo