Wednesday, October 18, 2006

What're the Odds?

My whiney bitchfest continued today at work. I managed to whinge to Nikki via IMs for about 30 minutes. Most of the ground I covered in last night’s depressed-fest so I will spare you the gory details however I did some thinking about dating, or more specifically how I behave while dating, that I felt worthy of sharing before we actually get to the point of today’s post. When I start dating someone I want to spend all the time I can with them however I happen to have a lot of free time and therefore have to fight the urge to call/email/text the person to see if they want to hang out all the time. I don’t want to come off as overly needy and/or pushy. So I successfully fight the urge to do this and then I start to worry that I might be coming off as stand-offish or disinterested. Can anyone answer this particular conundrum?

Okay, on with the post. So part of my complaining to Nikki was that my life is really stuck in a bit of a rut right now. I went on and on about it and eventually got cheered up by taking cheap shots at people and cities who think banning smoking in bars is the Right Thing to Do™. (More on this tomorrow.) Once I felt better about myself it was time to surf the web where, from parts unknown, I stumbled across xkcd.com which tickled my funny-bone so I settled in to read it all. 137 strips in I stumbled across this gem, the major text of which is:

The infinite possibilities each day holds should stagger the mind. The sheer number of experiences I could have is uncountable, breathtaking, and I’m sitting here refreshing my inbox. We live trapped in loops, reliving a few days over and over, and we envision only a handful of paths laid out ahead of us. We see the same things each day, we respond the same way, we think the same thoughts, each day a slight variation on the last, every moment smoothly following the gentle curves of societal norms. We act like if we just get through today, tomorrow our dreams will come back to us.

And no, I don’t have all the answers. I don’t know how to jolt myself into seeing what each moment could become. But I do know one thing: the solution doesn’t involve watering down my every little idea and creative impulse for the sake of some day easing my fit into a mold. It doesn’t involve tempering my life to better fit someone’s expectations. It doesn’t involve constantly holding back for fear of shaking things up.


Once again my wanderings on the Internet have offered up some bit of advice addressing my crisis du jour. I felt the need to share.


Bonus

I totally do this:



Tags: FWJ, Dating

No comments: