Monday, June 11, 2007

Running the Shadows

I am not certain whether I have mentioned my love for the Shadowrun RPG here on the Opiate therefore let me get this out in the open right now. I am a huge fucking nerd when it comes to Shadowrun. I own every rulebook released for the system be it by FASA or FanPro and I have several of the novels. Floating around on my laptop are multiple outlines for and a couple of abortive attempts at scriptwriting for a series of webisodes in the vein of Star Trek: New Voyages or Starship Farragut. I have far more hand written notes and adventure kernels than I can count. It seems like more turn up every time I go to open a box labelled Misc. Desk Stuff. Even with all of that I have managed to steer clear of any of the online communities therefore when I saw this advert in the latest issue of Outsiders (#48 if you must know) I was somewhat taken aback:


While somewhat interesting visually the head with many eyes does not really convey the feel of the world. I get what they are going for with the whole "eyes in the back of your head" thing hweere, but it just doesn't work for me. If I am going to see and ad for Shadowrun I want to see some spell-slinging and cyberpunkery going on, preferrably with a wizworm in the background.

Since I am not a PC/console gamer and I do not frequent the Shadowrun forums I had no idea the game was this close to being out. I had heard rumors of it a couple of years ago, however I chalked that up to just fanboy hopes and dreams. This is one dream that has been given form and I am giving a long hard think about picking up an XBox or getting a PC which can hang with this game.

I think I need help.

No comments: