Saturday, July 29, 2006

Four Color Commentary - Books Shipped 7-26-06

Astro City Special #1
Kurt Busiek, Writer
Brent E. Anderson, Artist
There are many books on the “Gee I Wish These Came Out More Often” list and Astro City books are at the top of the list. I have to be completely honest with you, I am not certain what to write about this book. I still haven’t gotten this whole reviewing thing down. I’m terrible at summarizing the books and generally vague about why I like or dislike them. Oh well. I like this book. Busiek, if you read this for some strange reason, cut out all the Superman crap and write more Astro City and Arrowsmith! That is all.


Batman #655
Grant Morrison, Writer
Andy Kubert, Artist
Since the last issue Batman has managed to clean up Gotham and so now he has nothing to do except be Bruce Wayne. I liked everything about this issue. The Joker-copter is back, baby! Jim Gordon getting hit with the Joker gas? Excellent. Alfred taking Bruce to task for growling. I have to be honest though, I am already waiting for the other shoe to drop in this story, and I am not talking about the army of Man-bat ninjas we have been promised.


Casanova #2
Matt Fraction, Writer
Gabriel Ba, Artist
Okay, I don’t get it. I am not familiar with other work by Matt Fraction but for me this series really falls under the Morrison “I take FAR more interesting drugs than you and then I write,” school of writing. I mean I really don’t get it. Having said that Gabriel Ba provided some pretty pictures for me to look at during my time of confusion. I do not think I am going to continue getting this series.


Daredevil #87
Ed Brubaker, Writer
Michael Lark & Stefan Gaudiano, Artists
HOLY CRAP! I have been enjoying Brubaker’s run on Daredevil, particularly after Bendis’ last year kind of stank up the pond, but this issue seriously rocked the casbah. (However I think Sharif might have actually liked it.) Somehow I managed to avoid finding out about the big reveal at the end via the Internet and so when I reached the end of the book I almost fell out of the chair. It was awesome. Thank you Ed!


Highlander #0
Brandon Jerwa & Michael Avon Oeming, Writers
Lee Moder, Artist
I have to admit I bought this book because it has a Dell’Otto cover and it is the freakin’ Highlander. (“Here we are born to be kings!”) I was not expecting very much from this book and therefore I was not disappointed. Until the end of the preview I was a little confused as to when this book was taking place in the somewhat convoluted timeline that is Highlander. A note at the beginning of the book letting the reader know would have been nice. Oeming seems to be moving into the Keith Giffen world of don’t-make-a-comic-without-me. Now he is working on main Red Sonja series, Powers, and did he ever finish the Ares miniseries for Marvel? Anyways, I have enjoyed both his work and Brandon Jerwa’s work in the past and this intro to the series was intriguing enough to make me want to pick up the next few issues. Oh yeah, one more quibble, I wish they would have translated the tattoo on the bad guy’s chest. My Russian isn’t that good anymore.


Jack of Fables #1
Bill Willingham & Matthew Sturges, Writers
Tony Akins, Penciller
Andrew Pepoy, Inker
Fables is one of the most consistent and well-written series out there and I have been looking forward to this series since the Jack arc in the main Fables book. This was a very enjoyable jaunt into the Fables world and introduced enough new elements to keep me intrigued. Someone, Matt Maxwell I think, was commenting on his Freudian ability to only read issues of the series where Goldilocks shows up and is naked. Due to my wonderful memory (that’s sarcasm) I cannot remember in what context Goldilocks shows up however I do remember her being around and being naked and lets face it, that’s what I am really looking for in my comics.


Wolverine #44
Marc Guggenheim, Writer
Humberto Ramos, Penciller
Carlos Cuevas, Inker
Lets start with the cover on this one. I am not a big fan of Ramos’ art and for the first time on this whole art issue I can tell you why. It’s the mouths. Every time a person is talking they either look like they are screaming in terror or they are talking through their teeth. Beyond the screaming and teeth-gritting I have been enjoying this Civil War tie-in. I am about as surprised about that as the next guy since I am not reading the whole Civil War event and actually think it is kind of crap. I am really looking forward to what Guggenheim does with Wolverine once the editorially mandate is done.


X-Men #189
Mike Carey, Writer
Chris Bachalo, Penciller
Townsend with Holdredge, Irwin, Mendoza, Olazaba & Vey, Inkers
For me these Masked Marvel back-up stories really feel like a waste of pages. I would MUCH rather have an additional eight pages of X-Men comic for my $2.99. Now that we have that out of the way, I am enjoying Carey’s work on the title. I have to admit that the creation of a new set of enemies for the X-Men kind of bugs me, however I am going to try and resist passing judgment on these new enemies until all of Carey’s story has been told. I did enjoy the reappearance of Northstar and Aurora. Mmmmm. I think the next issue is going to lots of hot mutant on mutant action.


The Rest:
  • 52 #12
    • Oh hell, you know who it is.
  • Annihilation: Ronan #4 (of 4)
    • Simon Furman, Writer
    • Jorge Lucas, Artist
  • Birds of Prey #96
    • Gail Simone, Writer
    • Paulo Sequeria, Penciller
    • Robin Riggs, Inker
  • Blue Beetle #5
    • Keith Giffen & John Rogers, Writers
    • Duncan Rouleau, Artist
  • Captain America #20
    • Ed Brubaker, Writer
    • Steve Epting, Artist
  • Crisis Aftermath: The Spectre #3 (of 3)
    • Will Pfeifer, Writer
    • Cliff Chiang, Artist
  • Exiles #84
    • Tony Bedard, Writer
    • J. Calafiore, Penciller
    • Mark McKenna, Inker
  • Hawkgirl #54
    • Walter Simonson, Writer
    • Howard Chaykin, Artist
  • JLA Classified #25
    • Steve Englehart, Writer
    • Tom Derenick, Penciller
    • Mark Farmer, Inker
  • JSA Classified #14
    • Steve Englehart, Writer
    • Tom Derenick, Penciller
    • Mark Farmer, Inker
  • Loveless #9
    • Brian Azarello, Writer
    • Marcelo Frusin, Artist
  • Nightwing #122
    • Bruce Jones, Writer
    • Paco Diaz, Penciller
    • Bit, Inker
  • Powers #19
    • Brian Michael Bendis, Writer
    • Michael Avon Oeming, Artist
  • Red Sonja #12
    • Michael Avon Oeming, Writer
    • Mel Rubi and Stephen Sadowski, Artists
  • Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose #39
    • Jim Balent, Writer/Artist
Tags: Comics

No comments: