Sunday, July 02, 2006

Noboyuki

A little while ago I wrote about Miho, one of the exchange students I corresponded with for a while. While I was digging through my letters I found several from Nobuyuki Harita, the first exchange student with whom I carried on a prolonged correspondence. I flipped through a couple of the letters and what really stood out was the fact that I was not a good correspondent. As I was re-reading the last of these letters, I started to feel guilty about having allowed this correspondence to lapse. I was such an ass when I was younger.

I had a slow day at the office a little while ago and decided to amuse myself by popping his name into Google and seeing what came back. Lo and behold his website was the first thing to pop up in the Google search. I seriously almost cried (sometimes I can be very emotional) when I clicked through to his website and saw a picture of him there. It is amazing how little he has changed over the years. Now having found his website I decided to shoot him and email.

The happy ending to this particular tale is that Nobuyuki and I are corresponding once again after a break of fifteen years or so and I have tentative plans to visit him and his family for a couple of days in the not too distant future (next Sunday A.D.)

Bonus

I did a ego search on my full name in Google. This returned exactly one hit which indicated that someone with my name was buried in the Paxton Cemetery. This itertation was born on July 26th, 1960 and died on July 8th, 1977. Holy crap, he wasn’t even seventeen. That sucks.

No comments: