Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Arithmetic of Cool

While reading the Fanboy Rampage I stumbled across mention of the world’s greatest comic book title ever, Monkey in a Wagon vs. Lemur on a Big Wheel. Let me say that again, MONKEY IN A WAGON VS. LEMUR ON A BIG WHEEL (in all caps and red letters, I must be excited.) Sadly I was not able to find a webpage for the creator, Monkey Pharmacy Productions, however I did find a review of the book over at CHUD.com written by Graig Kent (you can read it here) where he gave the book four out of five Vikings, which seems to be a pretty good rating. Mr. Kent tells us that this comic is basically a Spy vs. Spy with a monkey in a wagon and his arch nemesis, the titular lemur on a Big Wheel, but who cares what it is about! Just look at how many good things are included in this book:

  1. Monkeys. Need I say more?

  2. Wagons. Now who doesn’t have fond memories of their wagon as a child? Mine was a cool, red wooden wagon that we could attach to my Big Wheel (see #4) so I could haul more crap. And as an adult they are so useful!

  3. Lemurs. They are only found in one place on Earth; Madagascar, and according to the recent documentary lemurs are the quintessential party animals.

  4. Big Wheels. Again, something every child loved. I rode mine so much that the wheels actually wore out. I even tried riding it down the stairs once, which did not work out so well, but I still have fond memories of it and wish I had a big boy big wheel now. I would totally ride it to check the mail and stuff.

So there you go. Simple monkey math tells you that something that is four out of four parts cool must be cool indeed. Personally I suspect the fifth Viking was terrified of the monkey and thus could not enjoy the comic, or perhaps he was Dutch. I could never really stand the Dutch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ARE a monkey in a wagon.

booya.

~Tamijean

James said...

Oh yeah! Well you are an underoo liar! That's right you dirty lemur!