Saturday, August 19, 2006

Four Color Commentary - Books Shipped 8-16-06

The Boys #1
Garth Ennis, Writer
Darick Robertson, Artist

The comics blogosphere, or whatever you kids are calling it these days, seems to be pretty evenly split between the “I read this when it was Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe” camp and the “its Garth Ennis doing what Garth Ennis does and I like it” camp. I fall firmly into the second category. Every once in a while there is a base misogynist part of me that needs a little love and Garth Ennis tends to deliver the right kind of love. I have to be honest with you though, when I first read the solicts for this book I thought to myself, “Wow, I really liked this book back when it was called Stormwatch: Team Achilles,” and decided not to read the book. Then I read some one’s rave review of the book and decided that I could spend the $2.99 on the book or buy half a Guinness. I decided to do both with the same $2.99. What can I say, I am nothing if not a patriot.


Claws #1 (of 3)
Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray, Writers
Joe Linser, Artist

DAMN YOU JOE LINSER! I finally swear off series being written by the not-so-dynamic duo of Palmiotti and Gray and then you have to come along and give them pretty pictures to deface with their words. And then their words actually didn’t suck. In fact, I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I enjoyed this book and will be reading the rest of the series. Of course this is the first time I can remember reading a series where Palmiotti and Gray got to be funny and they’re pretty good at it.


Deadman #1
Bruce Jones, Writer
John Watkiss, Artist

I really enjoyed the short-lived Deadman series put out by DC in 2002. I am not certain what it is about the character that I like so much and that I find interesting, but I do, so it was certain that I would give this book a spin when it came out. Of course I forgot that it being a Vertigo book meant more than just a Marvel Knights-esque interpretation of the character. To be honest I am not certain I am going to enjoy Bruce’s stab at this character. Jones seems to have, what we call in the business, issues which he likes to work out while bringing the readers along for the ride. We shall see what happens here, but I am not too optimistic about this series.


Monkey in a Wagon vs. Lemur on a Big Wheel: Crisis with Infinite Critters
“Monkey in a Wagon vs. Lycanthropy on a Big Wheel”
Ken Lillie-Paetz, Writer
Chris Moreno, Artist

“Crisis with Infinite Critters”
Ken Lillie-Paetz, Writer
Chris Moreno, Artist

“Greased Lightning”
Paul Benjamin, Writer
Chris Moreno, Artist

“Money vs. Lemur”
Ken Lillie-Paetz, Writer
Chris Moreno, Artist

“In Space No One Can Hear a Squeaky Wheel”
Dan Wickline, Writer
Mark Dos Santos, Artist

“Moreno in a Wagon vs. Lillie-Paetz on a Big Wheel”
Ken Lillie-Paetz, Writer
Fernando Granea, Penciller
Steve Sprayson, Inker

I heard about this work of genius a while back and tried to make you all aware of its existence (here). It was all I could hope for in something as high-concept as this. I don’t have the words. Let us just bask in the glory of the following statement:

“Are you retarded? I am the goddamn Lemur.”


Rex Mundi #1
Arvid Nelson, Writer
Juan Ferreyra, Artist

I missed the first couple of issues of this book when it was being published independently and thus decided to steer clear of it, even though it is right up my alley. When I heard the book was moving to Dark Horse and was going to “relaunch” with a new #1 I figured this was my chance to jump on to the book. I was more wrong than right. I am not certain where the last issue of Volume 1 left off, however this book really picks up in the middle of the story so I was a little lost until I read “The Story so Far…” page at the back of the issue. Since this is a new #1 I feel the creators should have spent at least a page or two catching the readers up on what has transpired before they picked up the comic. Of course since this contains just about every single thing I look for in historical or speculative fiction I am going to continue to read the series and try to pick up the trades. Or maybe single issues. Who knows.


The rest:
  • 52 #15
    • Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, and Mark Waid, Writers
    • Keith Giffen, Art Breakdowns
    • Shawn Moll, Penciller
    • Tom Nguyen, Inker
  • Catwoman #58
    • Will Pfeifer, Writer
    • David Lopez, Penciller
    • Alvaro Lopez, Inker
  • Conan #31
    • Mike Mignola, Writer
    • Cary Nord, Artist
  • Green Lantern Corps #3
    • Dave Gibbons, Writer
    • Patrick Gleason, Penciller
    • Prentis Rollins, Mick Gray, and Wayne Faucher, Inkers
  • Ion #5 (of 12)
    • Ron Marz, Writer
    • Tom Grindberg & Greg Tocchini, Pencillers
    • Jay Leisten, Inker
  • Manhunter #25
    • Marc Andreyko, Writer
    • Javier Pina, Layouts
    • Fernando Blanco, Finishes
  • Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. #7
    • Warren Ellis, Writer
    • Stuart Immonen, Artist
  • Nightwing #123
    • Bruce Jones, Writer
    • Robert Teranishi, Penciller
    • Wes Craig, Inker
  • Robin #153
    • Adam Beechen, Writer
    • Freddie E. Williams II, Artist
  • Shadowpact #4
    • Bill Willingham, Writer
    • Steve Scott, Penciller
    • Wayne Faucher, Inker
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four #32
    • Mark Millar, Writer
    • Greg Land, Penciller
    • Matt Ryan, Inker
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four Annual #2
    • Mike Carey, Writer
    • Stuart Immonen, Penciller
    • Frazer Irving, Art & Color, Mole Man Sequences
    • Wade von Grawbadger, Inker

Tags: Comics

No comments: