Friday, February 08, 2008

Fat Fuck vs. Food - Week 1

(With apologies to Kevin Smith for stealing his titles but "Battle of the Bulge" is so fucking played out.)

Even thought I did not start this whole "dieting"* thing until this past Monday, I weighed myself a week ago and therefore after my morning ablutions it was time to weigh myself once again. The result? I tipped the scales at 310.8 pounds which is a decline of 9.2 pounds from last weeks record setting score of 320 pounds. Check out the spiffy graphics below:


More important than the weight loss is the fact that I was able to stick to my eating plan all week. Of course this being the first week it is easy to stay motivated and focused. In this case the second week will be pretty easy as well since I saw such stellar results from this week. For me the issue is going to come during the week after the week where I inexplicably gain weight. It has happened to me every time I have gone on a diet and, at times, has been the diet's death knell.

One of the things I have been doing to help with the diet is write down everything I am eating every day. Being a good Catholic, a liberal, and my mother's son I am wracked with guilt, which is something I need to change at some point, and I thought that if I had to write everything down I might behave myself a bit more. On top of that I am going to share each week's worth of entries here so those of you that are supporting me on this can push me. Here are the result from this week:

Monday - 2-4-08
1 Yoplait Yogurt
1 bottle Lipton Green Tea w/Citrus
Medium salad with chicken chunks and Ranch dressing
1/3 box of Potatoes Stroganoff Hamburger Helper
1/3 can of green beans

Tuesday - 2-5-08
1 Yoplait Yogurt
1 bottle Lipton Green Tea w/Citrus
Medium salad with chicken chunks and Ranch dressing
The last of the pasta and goo

Wednesday - 2-6-08
1 Yoplait Yogurt
1 bottle Lipton Green Tea w/Citrus
Medium salad with a hard-boiled egg, turkey, ham and Ranch dressing
1/3 box of Potatoes Stroganoff Hamburger Helper
1/3 can of green beans

Thursday - 2-7-08
1 Yoplait Yogurt
1 bottle Diet Lipton Green Tea w/Citrus
Medium salad with chicken chunks and Ranch dressing
1/3 box of Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper
1/3 can of corn, tomatoes, and okra

Besides this the only thing I consumed this week was water at the rate of 3 to 4 liters a day, except for Thursday where I only had about 2.

In addition to using this space to keep my fat ass motivated and you guys up to date on where I am at, I am going to try and save my food and eating related musing to the Friday post. With any luck discipline this will leave the rest of the week free for the usual jackassery I engage in while blogging. I think it should go without saying that I have been thinking about food quite a bit this week. Well food and the eating of said food, but you get the idea. One of the things I have forced myself to think about this week is how I actually eat, not so much what I am eating as the actual physical act of eating. As I have mentioned before my single biggest challenge in this process is going to be getting the portion size under control. It is not unusual for me to cook a pot of red beans and rice which is meant to feed three or four people and consume the entire pot over the course of an evening. I have come to the conclusion that this is not because I am hungry but rather I derive a great deal of pleasure from eating. This is both on a physical and psychological level. This is going to be the biggest thing I have to fight during this process. I am not certain where I picked up the, "It's not love, just food" bon mot however in my case I think this is really what I have to fight.


* I need to find a better word for this. To a certain degree this is playing semantic and psychological games however I do not like the word diet and ultimately what I am seeking here is a transformative experience which will result in better eating habits and a generally healthier life.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Try "Streamlining" as a euphamism