Saturday, February 09, 2008

"Go monkey! Choose monkey!"

So you ever notice how when you're having problems with the fairer sex that everything on TV and the radio seems to speak to the problems you are having? Yeah, me too, so imagine my surprise when in a fit of slacking I decided it was time to finish watching the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Uberdork edition I purchased some time ago and the episode I choose to watch has relationship drama in it! ARGH! As I was watching I was really struck by this exchange between Buffy and Xander:

XANDER
Dependable? What is he, State Farm?

BUFFY
You know what I mean.

XANDER
Yeah, I think you mean convenient. I
think you took it for granted that
he was gonna show up when you wanted
him to and take off when you didn't.

BUFFY
Look who's talking! You've got Anya
following you around like a love sick
puppy -

XANDER
Oh boy is this not about me -

BUFFY
Is she more than a convenience?
'Cause that'd be kind of a surprise.

He stares at her a moment, dead serious...Maybe she's
got his number, or maybe he's just got hers.

XANDER
If you don't want to hear that I have
to say, I'll shut up right now.

BUFFY
Good. 'Cause -

XANDER
I lied. See, what I think? You
got burned with Angel. Then Riley
shows up -

BUFFY
I know the story, Xander.

XANDER
But you missed the point. You shut
down, Buffy. And you've been treating
Riley like the rebound guy, when he's
the one who comes along once in a
lifetime. He's never held back with
you - he's risked it all - and you're
about to let him fly because you
don't like ultimatums?

This hits Buffy hard. Xander sees it, comes on strong -

XANDER (cont'd)
If he's not the guy - if what he
needs from you just isn't there -
for God's sake, let him go. Break
his heart, and make it a clean break.
But if you can really love this guy -
I'm talking scary, messy, no-emotions-
barred need - if you're ready for
that...Then think about what you're
about to loose.

Man oh man is that how I feel a lot of times. By no means am I perfect and there is a lot of work that I need to do on me before I will be right for anyone, but as I thought about things I really feel like this exchange describes a lot of my relationships with women. Ah well, here is hoping that some of the changes I am trying to make in my life will change that as well.

I was also struck by this bit of dialogue:

XANDER
I gotta say something, 'cause I don't
think I've made it clear. I don't even
know if you know about it. I'm in love
with you. Powerfully, painfully in
love. The things you do, the way you
think, the way you move...I get
excited every time I'm about to see
you. You make me feel like I've never
felt before in my life. Like a man.
Boy howdy do I know how THAT feels. I just wish I would have had the guts to say it.


Bonus Dialogue
ANYA
We have to see the chimp playing
hockey! That's hilarious! Ice is
so slippery! And monkeys are all
irrational...we have to see this!

Monkeys indeed. They are the salve that heals all wounds.

No comments: