Thursday, January 26, 2006

Comic Strips

I have, as some of you may have noticed, added a new collection of links to the right side of the blog under the title Comics. This is a collection of comic strips I read on a regular basis and I finally got around to adding the links to the blog. They are:

Alien Loves Predator
In this comic an Alien and a Predator share a small flat somewhere in New York City (I assume on Manhattan, but I could be off) and have to deal with the unique experience of living in New York. Oh yeah, occasionally Jesus Christ shows up.

Diary of a Crazed Mimbanite
I wrote an entire post about my discovery of the Diary of a Crazed Mimbanite, both here and on Something I Saw, so I really don’t have anything else to say about this except, “Joy!”

Digger
I discovered this comic thanks to Tami who initially pointed me to Ursula Vernon’s blog. Urusla’s artwork intrigued me and I eventually tracked down her website, Metal & Magic, and from there I finally found this comic. Digger tells the tale of Digger the Wombat as he wanders through the world. So far I have only been reading this strip for a week (three days worth) and so I am not sure what is actually going on, but I really like Ursula’s art, and her blog is damn funny, so I am going to stick around for a while.

Dinosaur Comics
It’s a comic. With dinosaurs. A T-Rex and Utahraptor. The only thing that could make it cooler is if they were ninjas. Or maybe pirates. ARRRRRR! What else do I need to say?

Get Fuzzy
This comic shares the misadventures of Rob, his pet dog Satchel, and Bucky the cat. To be honest I am not sure what to say about this except, “Mmmmmonkeys.”

Goats
Founded in 1997, Goats is one of the oldest web comics, however I have only recently discovered it through the good offices of my friend Mr. TunaCan. The comic is more plot-driven than most of the other comics on this list, however they still include everything that a growing boy needs to read about. After all, this is the birthplace of the Pirate Monkey Robot and Staropramen the Cold War Supervillain (here, here, and here).

Liberty Meadows
I have previously, in brief, mentioned my love of Frank Cho’s artwork on the Opiate. Liberty Meadows is his weekly comic strip in which he shares the adventures of the loveable misfits (how very cliché of me) at the Liberty Meadows Animal Sanctuary.

Although I cannot figure out whether Frank is producing new material for the strip or not (I recognize some of the recent strips), I still enjoy this strip for both Cho’s sense of humor and his art. There is a cleanliness to his line work that makes his art a real pleasure to look at.

Spamusement
Self-described as, “poorly-drawn cartoons inspired by actual spam subject lines,” this site may be one of the most brilliant things I have seen in years. We have all suffered from spam (spam spam spam) filling our inbox and choking out legitimate emails like they were delicate flowers. As the war between the distributors of spam (spam spam spam) and the spam (lovely spam!) blockers heated up, the subject lines of the spam (wonderful spam!) emails have gotten progressively stranger. The person behind this site has embraced the spam (spam spam spam) and uses these bizarre subject lines as inspiration for some darn funny comics. My current favorite is, “It’s time to Refill armadillo.

No comments: