Sunday, November 13, 2005

Naomi

Please pardon the lack of updates this past week. Recently I have been very blah interspersed with moments of busy. I have worked on a couple of pieces for posting, but none of them are turning out to be funny at all, so until I am able to find the funny again, I present the following for your consideration:



This is a picture of my cousin’s daughter Naomi I shot when we were at our grandparent’s house for Christmas in 2003. A couple of people have asked whether she is laughing or crying. While I appreciate that my face can strike terror into the hearts of many, please rest assured Naomi is laughing. She was playing a game of peek-a-boo with my sister, using the drapes from the big picture window in the dining room as a hiding place, when I was lucky enough to snap this picture. I love shooting kids. With them their either completely ignore the camera, as Naomi did here, or they play to the camera. Either way they are relaxed in a way that few adults seem to be. The result is that even when kids are behaving outrageously for the camera, it comes off as being very natural for them and it flows, whereas pictures of a lot of adults have a certain stiffness to them that creates an unnatural air.

This picture was shot on Fujichrome 800 film using my Vivitar 220SL camera with the Vivitar 135mm 1:2.8 lens using natural lighting.

No comments: